Saturday, January 15, 2011

why i'm running.

Today was a bit different than the normal long run Saturday's. Our coach was out of town, running a marathon in Phoenix, so instead we had a team meeting. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone on the team since this is the first time (since out initial meeting) that we were together and not going out for a run, which usually includes many others from the various teams in the coalition. We were able to share our fundraising strategies and successes and check in on our training.

Also a part of the meeting was talking about Jumpstart and the program, for those that it's new to. As we were talking I started thinking about the reasons I'm running and why I so badly wanted to be a part of the team. I'd like to share a few thoughts on that topic.

Going to a Jumpstart session is absolutely one of my favorite things to do as a Jumpstart employee. I am beyond impressed by the corps members and how passionate and thoughtful they are - it's really incredible to watch. When I went out to a session last spring, I saw something that almost put me in tears. It was a corps members birthday and, without remembering she had done so, she mentioned that it was coming up to the child she works with a few weeks back. At the end of the session, the child's mother came to pick her daughter up and was holding a large gift bag. She spoke little English and walked over to the corps member and handed it to her saying "happy birthday". It was clear that the corps member was totally caught off guard and the little girl just sat the smiling as she saw her mentor pull out a huge teddy bear.

That story always sticks out in my mind when I think about Jumpstart and the impact it has not only on the preschoolers but also the corps members and the families of the children in Jumpstart. The program builds a sense of community and every one is working toward the same goals - the desire to see every child succeed in school and life.

So when I think about why I'm running, I think about this story and how I can contribute as someone who can't make a direct difference in the classroom. I also think about my own goals and how when I look back on this experience, I can say that I can do just about anything I set my mind to. I've always wanted to run a marathon and admittedly I thought that it really would never come to fruition, that it was more of a passing thought, that I would have on my list of to do's forever. I'm learning a lot about myself through this experience - how I'm blessed to have so many wonderful and supportive people around me, how far I can test my mind and body, and how to be disciplined and dedicated. I'm running because I can only hope I'm going to help make positive changes for others; I can certainly tell it's making positive changes in me.

Today's 12 mile run was a bit dicey with the snow, but all in all it went well. Thanks to Lauren who ran the second half of it with me! I'm looking forward to this three day weekend since I have a lot to catch up on and can't wait for tomorrows rest day :)

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment