Monday, January 3, 2011

running and recovery.

Now is the time to play some catch up from the break. I admittedly skipped one run during the 2 week hiatus from the team running, which makes me a little uneasy, but I'm learning to let it go. Rick, our coach, is right in that sticking to a schedule is great but following it exactly can be detrimental to training. 


Yesterday I went on an 8 mile run with Ryan and it was so helpful to have him for the first 5 miles. I intended to get up early to run this morning, but first day back to work didn't work out so well and I slept until 8AM. I'm realizing that running in the morning really increases my energy throughout the day so I need to make a conscious effort to get up and run. This week will be a bit tough since I'm off a day and won't have a day off until Friday. I ran 3 miles on the tredmill and felt okay, but not great. Tomorrow I'll run (hopefully) in the morning - 4 miles. 


I've been trying to focus on recovery from runs more and eating the correct foods post workout. Drinking chocolate milk (or chocolate soy milk) is apparently the best recovery from a hard workout because it has the best proportion of fat, carbs and protein to help your muscles rebuild themselves. I also eat peanut butter on whole wheat toast after runs if I won't have chocolate milk available. It's important to have a good balance of fats, protein and carbs. 


So I know it's been a long time coming, but I am finally going to share the peanut butter recipe that I got off of one of my favorite food blogs: the edible perspective. After getting the food processor, I haven't spent any money on peanut butter and don't intend to do so from hear on out. While there are many different ways to make it, I liked this recipe the best out of the ones I've seen. 



Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter 
  • 1.5 c dry roasted, unsalted organic peanuts
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2t maple syrup
  • 1/4 c chopped raisins
  1. Process nuts until it becomes buttery and smooth.  About 5-10min.  Scrape the bowl as necessary.
  2. Add in cinnamon, coconut oil, salt, and maple syrup. 
  3. Process again, until it is creamy and spreadable.  About another 3-5min.  Scrape as necessary.
  4. Fold in mix-ins of choice. Store in an airtight container.



11 cup food processor - amazing appliance!
After peanut butter had been processed, added coconut oil, maple syrup, salt and cinnamon

Finished product!

Thanks to Ashley for this great recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Gadzooks! The famous peanut butter recipe has been leaked-- grab your recipe books, peanuts, and spoons for licking!

    ReplyDelete