Sunday, November 14, 2010

i love multi-tasking.


Today was definitely not as nice as yesterday; those 60 degree days are a runners dream and it may have been the last of the season. I went for a 40 minute run today with Lauren R. along Memorial Drive and into Huron Village (so many beautiful houses!). I'd never run along Memorial Drive in that direction on a Sunday - it's so great to be able to run on the closed road. 

Lauren and I had been talking about getting new shoes for some time so we decided to multi-task and end our run at Marathon Sports in Cambridge (Porter Square). I bought my old shoes at this location and have been happy with them, although I now understand the difference between half trainers and full trainers. My old shoes were half trainers, which are light and extremely comfortable, however, they can't take as much wear and aren't made for longer runs. They were fine for training, but when I ran the BAA half-marathon in October I had some pretty nasty blood blisters on two of my toes. 

This time around I decided to go with a more sturdy shoe; I bought a women's Mizuno brand shoe. Something I've learned over the past year is to buy a half or full size larger than what I usually wear - I almost bought a 10 1/2! The staff at Marathon Sports were great and I even learned something new about how to treat IT band problems. Apparently the root cause is due to weakness in the hip flexors and abs since they are connected to the IT band; by focusing strength training in these areas it's possible to prevent future pain. 

I walked home in my new shoes and they feel great. I'm really looking forward to going for a run in them this week. Here's a picture: 

New Shoes!

On the way home we stopped at the new location of Clover Food Lab (my favorite lunch truck in the Boston/Cambridge). Clover opened in a new location in Harvard Square so we grabbed some quick food - more about Clover in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment